Adventurer Conqueror King Reviews
This list of reviews of the Adventurer Conqueror King System includes all we know about as of August 8, 2012. Let us know if you've seen an ACKS review that is not listed below!
Detailed Reviews of Adventurer Conqueror King
- ACKS Eats 5E's Lunch, Belches Heartily. Vaults of Nagoh, posted by Chris Hogan on February 3, 2012. "The lads at Autarch talked a good fight, and they delivered... ACKS is a damn fine distillation and extension of Classic D&D."
- Review of Adventurer Conqueror King. theRPGSite Reviews, posted by The Butcher on February 5, 2012, and RPG.net Reviews, posted by Gus on February 10, 2012. Product Rating 8; Style 4, Substance 5; "The system has been optimized and streamlined with viable and exciting domain- and realm-level endgame play in mind. For the experienced DM, it is evident at a glance that these revisions have been grounded in considerable and systematic playtesting… I feel every D&D player or DM who’s interested in domain-level play, every D&D BECMI/RC fan, and TSR-era D&D gamers who are not averse to a bit more character customization, owe it to themselves to check this book out."
- Review-Adventurer Conqueror King. Aeons & Auguries, posted by JDJarvis on February 5, 2012. "The Adventurer Conqueror King System covers a lot of familiar RPG territory and delivers a solid game that does indeed provide for campaigns where lowly adventurers can build up domains."
- Review of Adventurer Conqueror King (ACKS). Dreams in the Lich House, posted by Beedo on February 7, 2012. "I give it a hearty recommendation... ACKS is a sturdy bridge across nearly 30 years of gaming."
- Review: Adventurer–Conqueror-King. Halfway Station, posted by Andy Slack on February 8, 2012. Overall rating 4 out of 5: "Will probably join the pile of games that I read occasionally for inspiration, and daydream about being able to run someday, but never actually do."
- RPG Review: Adventurer Conqueror King. 19th Level, posted by medievalmike on April 30, 2012. "I can easily see running a game with this system - and even if I don't, it has tons of stuff worth raiding for other games."
- Adventurer Conqueror King System. theRPGsite, posted by RPGPundit on June 22, 2012. Rating 7 out of 10: "If what you want is a game where you can reach high-level play… and have as much or more interesting stuff to do than you did at levels 1-3; and where you want that stuff to involve being able to systematize, tweak, and keep careful track of small, medium and large-scale domain-management, this will no doubt be the very best OSR game for you…. If you want to be hardcore about your stronghold management, and are looking for rules that give you that level of sophisticated detail without getting bogged down or lost in irrelevancies, ACKS will be your best friend ever."
Capsule Reviews of Adventurer Conqueror King
- Adventurer. Conqueror, King Now Available in PDF. Grognardia, posted by James Maliszewski on February 1, 2012. "This is good stuff and well worth a look."
- Mini Review - Adventurer Conqueror King System (OSR). Tenkar's Tavern, posted by Erik Tenkar on February 2, 2012. "Overall a very nice addition to the OSR stable."
- Sorry D&D Next, I've found myself a new game. The Moldy Vale, posted by Orion on February 5, 2012. "Tickles my fancy in so many ways it should probably be illegal. But it isn't, and it's for sale, so stop torrenting porn my fellow nerds and buy this book!"
- Some Recommendations. Monsters and Manuals, posted by Noisms on February 7, 2012. "As a genuine attempt to expand OD&D's "end game" into something interesting in its own right, I think it would be hard to better."
- Adventurer Conqueror King: The Capsule Review. Ardwulf's Lair, posted by Gary N. Mengle on February 9, 2012. "Adventurer Conqueror King is the edition of D&D that I want to run. I’m not sure I can praise it more highly than that."
- Adventurer Conqueror King, Nice. The OSR Companion, posted by Dan Lawson on February 9, 2012. "All in all, I would highly recommend this for any OSR fan; even if you aren't interested in running it, it's got an ample amount of easily adaptable stuff for any older edition."
- ACKS First Impressions. Untimately, posted by Brendan on February 9, 2012. "ACKS goes out of its way to provide a modern facade while maintaining a classical essence."
- ACKS B/XC Or How I commit heresy with Adventurer Conqueror King. The Other Side, posted by Timothy Brannan on February 10, 2012. "Of all the clones out right now (S&W, LL, BFRPG, DD, LotFP, S&S) this is the only one I feel is good for a new player; one that has never played an RPG before."
- My Second Big Game Review!. Chronicles of Ganth, posted by Eric on February 10, 2012. "+1 for great customer service!"
- Not Really a Review of Adventurer, Conqueror, King. Superhero Necromancer, posted by Superhero Necromancer on February 12, 2012. "ACKs is the first D&D-like to actually punch through my instinctive response of 'Or I could just play D&D.' It is that good, and well worth checking out."
- , posted by Dominique C. on February 19, 2012. Rating 5 out of 5: "
- Tale of Two Games. The Other Side, posted by Timothy Brannan on March 5, 2012. "
ACKS is a synthesis of all the OSR embraces."
- A is for Adventurer Conqueror King System. The Other Side, posted by Timothy Brannan on April 1, 2012. "Of the recent batch of retro-clones, ACKS is the best looking one."
Review of the Adventurer Conqueror King System.…and the sky full of dust, posted on April 20, 2012 by theskyfullofdust. "All the rules I want are all in one system, work well together, and ultimately make sense. It’s quickly become my favourite system, and that’s after several sessions playing others. Also, and I can’t stress this enough, this is the first of the clones that has made me truly feel like I’m playing the D&D that I remember playing in my youth."
ACKS: The New Old School and why it’s so appealing. Hunter's Quarry, posted on April 20, 2012 by medievalmike. "If you’re looking for a new and modern system that takes very seriously the concepts that made this hobby great, I think you owe it to yourself to check out Adventurer Conqueror King System."
- . Fuck Yeah Dungeons & Dragons, posted on August 2, 2012 by fuckyeahd&d. ".
- theRPGsite forum post, posted on September 3, 2012 by P&P. "In the interests of giving you a fair and balanced review, I did find some stuff on pages 117 and 118 that might actually make it into my own game... If I'd written a book called Adventurer Conqueror King, it would involve adventuring, conquering, and being king. This system ought to be called Manager Merchant Landlord, which is what it's actually about."
Other ACKS Coverage
- Johnstone shared pictures of two additional backer rewards from the Adventurer Conqueror King Kickstarter - the art print and the originals of the illustrations he commissioned as a Legend backer, purchased through artist Ryan Browning's Etsy site - at the Red Box Vancouver blog.
- Adventurer Conqueror King: how is it?. RPG.net forum thread, started by hive_mind on February 1, 2012.
- Sean's Pick of the Day. DriveThruRPG Facebook page, posted by Sean Fannon on February 3, 2012. "Crafted by some very sharp, very astute people who know gaming and gamers."
- Digging into the Adventurer Conqueror King System. Detailed examination of ACKS mechanics, posted at Tenkar's Tavern by Erik Tenkar beginning on February 5, 2012; best accessed through the blog's ACKS tag.
- ACKS Endgame. Detailed examination of the ACKS domain rules, posted at Untimately by Brendan on February 12, 2012.
- Proficiencies 101. Ongoing examination of the ACKS proficiencies system, posted at By This Axe I Rule! by CharlesDM.
What People Are Saying!
New forum topics
If you are a Kickstarter backer who wants to upgrade your reward or cover international shipping, or a generous fan who wants to help support our next projects!