The Secret Ratio
Jul 08, 2011 02:28 PM
A secret ratio recurs repeatedly throughout ACKS. It is 1:33, and it is implicit in many of the game mathematics. Interestingly, the 1:33 ratio *emerged* from the assumptions of the system; it wasn't initially designed in. The first place the secret ratio appeared was in the average rate of return on gold invested per month in support of mercantile activities, which is 3% (3/100 or 1/33). I noticed the ratio when I was building spreadsheets to model landlords and merchants.
- 1,000gp invested in agricultural improvement will attract on average 5.5 peasants yielding around 6gp per month, or 33gp. (3.3%)*
- 18,000gp invested in cargo and a small sailing ship will return 600gp in profits per month (3.3%)
- 36,500gp invested in cargo and a 40-wagon caravan will return 1,100gp in profits per month (3.0%)
- 50,000gp invested in cargo and a large sailing ship will return 1,800gp in profits per month (3.6%)
- A peasant, earning 3gp per month, probably has (3x33) 99gp in capital. This is probably seed, farming implements, and perhaps some domestic animals.
- An alchemist, earning 75gp per month, probably has (75x33) 2,475gp in capital - lab equipment, books, chemical mixtures, potions, and coin.
- The emperor of a massive domain, with an income of 360,000gp per month, has capital of around 11,880,000gp.
- A warrior (2nd level fighter) with 1,500gp invested in equipment, training, and so on, would expect to earn 45gp per month (1500/33).
Active forum topics
If you are a Kickstarter backer who wants to upgrade your reward or cover international shipping, or a generous fan who wants to help support our next projects!